
Tonight at bedtime I went about the routine of getting the girls settled, read to and tucked in. I read to little Julia for the first time this week and she was so excited she put her hands in her mouth to contain her excitement. Then I went into Stella's room and laid by her as she explained that she preferred Dad because when he lays down with her he reads two whole stories to her. So while I was reading her two stories Lucia came in and wondered when I was coming in to read with her. I said as soon as I finished with Stella and Julia. By the time I came into Lucia's room she was daydreaming (or twilight dreaming) out the window. I started picking up her room and she said, "Mom what if there was a story about a mom who was like an Octopus?" I said that would make a pretty cool story you should write it down. And then she got excited to tell me that the story was of a mom who had so many arms she could do laundry and cook and dress her kids and read them stories all at the same time. She could get so much more done and have more time do all she wanted. "Wouldn't that be cool mom?" At that moment I realized two things: Lucia really understands me and wishes I had more time to hang with her. Talk about insightful and slightly sad. If only i really was a Mocotpus. Here's to trying!
1 comment:
This is the best story - I am so glad you took the time to share it. I think that it is the reason that grandparenting is so rewarding - you never have to moctopus! You just hang!
Post a Comment