Saturday, September 18, 2010

Mesopotamia


On the way home from dinner the other night I was thinking about the take out banana cream pie I had on my lap when Lucia started telling me about Mesopotamia. "Mom did you know that Mesopotamia means land between two rivers; the Tigris and Euphrates." She proceeds to explain to us that it was the fertile crescent and when the rivers flooded it was "rich in soil and nutrients." And goes on like this for awhile until we get home. Rich and I meanwhile are totally smiling at each other. Then when we go to bed she pulls out a book like the one in the picture. I asked her how she got it and she said she picked it out at library time. "I was just interested in learning more about this stuff." I had to write this down because Lucia is growing up sooo fast. She has always surprised Rich and I to the point where now we are not surprised we are surprised anymore. When she was a baby she came out screaming and really was a loud, happy, ENERGETIC presence from the start. She used to lay in her crib and lift her legs and let them slam together down on the mattress, over and over. Rich and I couldn't figure out what the sound was coming from her bedroom. When we realized what it was we figured I guess that's just what babies do. In the first week of her life I remember thinking she was here on loan from somewhere special. Sometimes I'm reminded of that thought as she continues to seem such an individual. I'm a little emotional right now. Its the 3rd trimester I'm sure, but I'm so glad that she is the leader of this camp of little Parkes.

1 comment:

Shelby said...

so sweet! she is a great big sister and a very special girl! we love her, too!